Nutrition tips for your small dog
Nutrition plays a key role in the health and well-being of small adult dogs, our expert nutritionist has put together these top tips to help you meet your dog’s nutritional needs:
- Small dogs typically those under 20kg have a higher metabolic rate than large dogs and need almost twice as much energy for their size as bigger breeds.
- To meet the energy needs of a small breed dogs, feed a diet with a high-energy concentration.
- Feeding a diet that is rich is protein and fat can help meet the energy requirements of a small dog.
- As small breed dogs have smaller stomachs, an energy-dense food should be fed in equal amounts twice per day.
- Choosing to feed a food with a smaller kibble size compared to the standard kibble size will make it easier for smaller dogs to chew. Feeding a food of a suitable sized kibble can also can help clean dog’s teeth.
- Small dogs benefit from a hypoallergenic diet which is designed to avoid the use of ingredients that are most likely to cause an allergic reaction.
- Always consult the feeding guide on the bag, but you may need to adjust the feeding level slightly to take account of the activity level of your dog as well as the external conditions, always maintaining a lean healthy body condition.
- Have clean drinking water available for your dog at all times.
GAIN Elite SmallDogs Adult is a nutritional solution for dogs less than 20kgs which has been developed by the GAIN Pet Food team of nutritionists to cater for the very specific nutritional needs of small adult dogs. This feed has a hypoallergenic and sensitive composition with a small kibble size and with extra meat for finicky eaters. It provides small adult dogs with high levels of top quality proteins and fats which are required by small adult dogs to meet their metabolic needs. The range is on offer in multiple retailers throughout March.