NUTRITION TIPS TO HELP LARGE BREED DOGS LIVE LONG, QUALITY LIVES
Nutrition plays a key role in the health and well-being of large adult dogs, our expert nutritionist has put together these top tips to help you meet your dog’s nutritional needs:
- Large breed dogs (those with a mature weight over 20kg) have different nutritional needs than smaller breeds.
- Larger breed dogs experience fast growth from puppyhood into adulthood, and these growth spurts can be associated with serious health risks. Slower, steady growth is best for these maturing dogs.
- Large breed dogs are more susceptible to bone and joint problems because their bones are larger and have to support more weight. A diet with Glucosamine, MSM and Omega Oils can help to maintain supple joints, decrease joint inflammation and can help the body repair and strengthen tissues. Also, the inclusion of natural milk calcium in the form of TruCal will help to increase bone strength in large breed dogs.
- Larger breed dogs may benefit from being on a diet low in fat for weight control, since obesity puts more stress on a dog’s frame. L-Carnitine has an important role in reducing the deposition of body fat.
- The average lifespan of large breed dogs is shorter than many smaller dog breeds. This means your large breed dogs will need to switch to a senior dog diet earlier than smaller breeds.
- Large dogs can benefit from a hypoallergenic diet which is designed to avoid the use of ingredients that are most likely to cause an allergic reaction.
- Have clean drinking water available for your dog at all times.
- Always consult the feeding guide on the bag, but you may need to adjust the feeding level slightly to take account of the activity level of your dog as well as the external conditions, always maintaining a lean healthy body condition.
- Make all diet changes gradually over a 7-10 day period.